Care of Your Christmas Tree
Follow these tips to keep your tree looking fresh:
- When you get your tree home, immediately make a straight cut across the base of the trunk about 1/2 inch from the end so the tree can take up water.
- If it will be several days before your tree is to be set up and decorated, store it in water and put it in the garage or on a cool porch where it is protected from the sun and wind.
- Use a tree stand that holds plenty of water. Check the water level daily and refill to maximum level if needed.
- Do not let the water in the stand get below the bottom of the trunk. When a tree is cut, if left for more than a couple of hours without water, the bottom of the trunk forms a seal of sap which makes it impossible for the tree to take in water unless another fresh cut is made.
- Place your tree away from heat sources. Do not let your heating vent blow directly on your tree as this will dry the tree out quickly. Do not place your tree near an active fireplace.
- Use LED lights as they do not emit heat. Make sure your electric light strings do not have frayed cords or cracked sockets.
- Do not use candles on your tree as a decoration.
- Always unplug tree lights when you leave your home and before going to sleep.
Enjoy Your Tree!